- Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Reporters slam White House for shouting down questions from the press pool
- We’ve never initiated an attack on any country; we want peace: interview of the Armenian Ambassador to US to Al Arabiya
- Frank Pallone congratulated on Independence Day, emphasizing significant progress made by Armenia
- We have decided to establish Park of Life, where trees symbolizing lives of all victims of Artsakh wars will be planted: Pashinyan
- Queen Elizabeth II congratulates Armenia on Independence Day
- Test news
- Անցած անգամ ասեցի՝ ինքը բոզ ա, հիմա ավելացրել եմ եւս մի կոչում՝ բիճ, բիճ Նիկոլ. Գեւորգ Պետրոսյան
- Russian peacekeepers organized the transfer of humanitarian aid to refugees and large families of remote settlements of Nagorno-Karabakh
- Susan Templeman MP supporting Australian recognition of Armenian, Assyrian and Greek Genocides
Don’t Tax the Green in Armenia07:02 29 Aug 2018
BY GOR MKRTCHIAN
Armenia’s collection of renewable energy firms, among them Arpi Solar, Shtigen LLC, Redinet CJSC, and Solaron, are all operating under a terrible burden that doesn’t have to exist: taxation. In 2017, Armenia took the wonderful step of removing import taxes on electric vehicles, but why is the renewable energy industry taxed at all? When you tax something, you get less of it, and we need more energy, not less. Yet, Armenia’s renewable energy firms face property, income, payroll, social security, corporate, sales, and import taxes.
Given Armenia’s lack of confirmed coal, oil, or natural gas reserves, the nation is dependent on fuel imports from Russia and Iran, and blockaded by its two other neighbors. This means it’s important to insulate against geopolitical risk. If energy imports from Russia and Iran were for one reason or another to cease, the results would be dire. The capability of producing energy domestically may prove vital to Armenia’s future and independence.
A total tax-exemption would not only mean the growth of existing firms, but also an expansion of the industry altogether, with new entrants suddenly finding the sector profitable thanks to reduced participation costs. The energy sector would be more vibrant and competitive, and produce more domestic energy at a lower price. As a result, consumers would adopt its use in growing numbers.
The economy would experience a major windfall in the face of such a reform. With this move towards a freer market, employment opportunities would be created, and the decreased cost of energy would lead to citizens having more money left over after paying their energy bills to spend elsewhere. The positive effects would spill over into the entire economy, not only because consumers would have lower energy bills, but also because energy is the master resource. Every aspect of the modern economy requires energy: every factory, every farm, every store and every home. Thus, reducing the cost of energy would directly benefit the entire economy.
Making Armenia’s renewable energy sector totally tax-free would be an enormous boon to the country’s security and economy. The state shouldn’t wait one moment longer to implement this policy.
- Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic 16:27 22 Sep 2021
- Reporters slam White House for shouting down questions from the press pool 16:23 22 Sep 2021
- We’ve never initiated an attack on any country; we want peace: interview of the Armenian Ambassador to US to Al Arabiya 16:20 22 Sep 2021
- Frank Pallone congratulated on Independence Day, emphasizing significant progress made by Armenia 16:19 22 Sep 2021
- We have decided to establish Park of Life, where trees symbolizing lives of all victims of Artsakh wars will be planted: Pashinyan 16:18 22 Sep 2021
- Queen Elizabeth II congratulates Armenia on Independence Day 16:17 22 Sep 2021
- Test news 00:00 24 Aug 2021
- Անցած անգամ ասեցի՝ ինքը բոզ ա, հիմա ավելացրել եմ եւս մի կոչում՝ բիճ, բիճ Նիկոլ. Գեւորգ Պետրոսյան 14:13 1 June 2021
- Russian peacekeepers organized the transfer of humanitarian aid to refugees and large families of remote settlements of Nagorno-Karabakh 09:43 26 May 2021
- Wearing masks in open-air areas will not be mandatory in Armenia from June 1 09:38 26 May 2021
- No incidents were registered in Sisian section of border: Defense Ministry 09:35 26 May 2021
- Tete-a-tete meeting of Ara Aivazian and Mohammad Javad Zarif commenced 09:30 26 May 2021
- Tensions on Armenian-Azerbaijani border demand immediate measures: CSTO Deputy Secretary General 09:25 26 May 2021
- President, Human Rights Defender discuss situation on Armenian-Azerbaijani border 09:25 26 May 2021
- Susan Templeman MP supporting Australian recognition of Armenian, Assyrian and Greek Genocides 08:39 26 May 2021
- President Armen Sarkissian received the Ambassador of France to Armenia Jonathan Lacôte 07:02 26 May 2021
- Armenian-Iranian business forum held in Tehran 06:00 26 May 2021
- Armenian Genocide Commemorative Committee Announcement 12:25 19 Mar 2021
- Billboards Call on President Biden to Recognize Armenian Genocide 12:22 19 Mar 2021
- Azerbaijan Destroying and Falsifying Historical Facts of Armenian Monuments in Occupied Territories of Artsakh 12:16 19 Mar 2021
- 07:29 19 Sep 2018 Trump and Bolton Undermine the International Criminal Court Many Americans and others around the world have been following with great concern the irrational statements and destructive decisions made by President Trump ever since his election.
- 08:00 6 Sep 2018 Our Greatest Strength is Our Unity This of course cannot be conditioned on a complete and total agreement on every issue.
- 07:00 25 Aug 2018 Of Elephants, Armenia, and the ARF After I mentioned the topic of this piece in a Facebook posting, a friend was insistent that I do a full piece on it, so here goes
- 16:27 22 Sep 2021 Remarks by President Biden on Fighting the COVID-19 Pandemic Get vaccinated.
- 16:23 22 Sep 2021 Reporters slam White House for shouting down questions from the press pool Press pool filed a formal complaint after being denied questions
- 16:19 22 Sep 2021 Frank Pallone congratulated on Independence Day, emphasizing significant progress made by Armenia Frank Pallone, Co-Chair of the Congressional Caucus on Armenian Issues, sent a congratulatory message on Armenia's Independence Day,
- 07:49 6 Sep 2018 Franchise Conference Connects U.S. Businesses with Armenian Investors The United States Embassy in Yerevan and the U.S. Commercial Service in Moscow, in partnership with IDBank, organized a one-day conference focused on franchise business opportunities on September 5 in Yerevan.
- 07:30 25 Aug 2018 Transport Minister instructs to put more effort in North-South Highway The construction works delayed in Talin-Lanjik and Lanjik-Gyumri section of the North-South Highway should be continued faster.
- 05:40 9 November 2017 Family Living In Fear Of Landmines In Artsakh Inspires HALO Crowdfunding Campaign An innovative crowdfunding campaign to clear a minefield in Harar village in Artsakh launched on Friday.